Saturday, April 26, 2008

Decisions

      Right now I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place, the issue being where I am going to live next year. A few weeks back during all the housing application commotion, my friend was supposed to have applied for Raymond Hall for us on his day (he is a junior so he had priority). Yeah… that never happened, so now I am not registered for any campus residence, and by now, there are only traditional halls left. I guess those work for some people but I am sick and tired of living in a prison cell, I want my own kitchen, my own bathroom, hell even simply having my own room that is only mine, not shared with someone else would make me so much happier.
      “Well Greg, why don’t you just move off of campus then?” you say, well, because I’m sadly not the only person deciding how I live my life at the moment. Not to get all “my parents suck” on you, but long story short they don’t believe I can handle “off-campus life”. They don’t feel I am responsible enough and my grades will slip, and if I’m not doing everything I can to get the best out of college, then the money stops flowing in, and my ass is getting some loans to pay for it. So yeah, I’m totally for living on my own and doing my own thing, but if that means I’m getting half of my money for school cut off from me (i.e. my parent’s contribution) then things start to get a bit different.
       On top of my parents wanting me to live on campus (not to mention probably thinking I have everything taken care of now.. .wooo boy, this will be fun to tell em…), my friends Madi and Megan need a third roommate for their 3-bedroom as their roommate is moving out this summer. “Perfect! I don’t even need to find roommates now, just sign my lease and I’m done, the apt is already furnished and comes with all the appliances needed, is on lake mary close to campus, awesome”. Now if I do that, I screw over Kirk who still has his place in Tinsley reserved for us, despite screwing up and not getting Raymond. Plus your utilities are paid for on campus, BUT WAIT! Campus housing rates just jumped way up too, and so did meal plans, so the cost on and off campus is almost the same.
      I hate this feeling, no matter where I go I end up screwing someone over, bah!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Tell your parents that you'll be able to work harder at school if you live off campus. Many of my friends have admitted that living on campus was a detriment to their study habits.