Monday, April 14, 2008

Anticipation

       As of last week I’ve decided I am truly sick of college and my major and everything that has to do with it, and I could easily rant about everything I hate right now but I’m not going to, because in 4 weeks, I’ll be in The Netherlands.

      That’s right, 5300 miles, a 1300 dollar plane ticket, and one language barrier away from this place. I’m not going to have a care in the world, just me, my family, and Holland. Usually my mother plans everything on our vacations but this time she has absolutely no itinerary, the only dates we are going to follow is when we have to move from my Oma Van de Putte’s summer home to my Oma Scott’s place during our stay. Aside from that its fair game, whatever we feel like doing on any given day, we are doing, anything from hitting the old-world markets spread across the suburbs of Holland or the ultimate tourist town Amsterdam. Most importantly I’ll be seeing all of my cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents and old family friends. It’s always a trip when I see my cousins because they’re all 3-4 years older than the last time and way different (we try to go to Holland every 3 years but sometimes it doesn’t happen due to money issues). My only issue is that I’ll only be there for two weeks with my father, whereas my mother and siblings will be there a whole 4 weeks >:[ (he only has two weeks of leave from his contracting job with the air force, and I really need to work over the summer and make up all the money I’ve spent this semester, so I opted to go home early with him).

I need to brush up on my dutch too, op het ogenblik, ben ik meer niet te goed.  :(

1 comment:

Dani said...

i love family reunions, you're lucky you do yours every 3 years. mine are every 4 and 5 years. every 4 years we do this big trip to disney world, this year we're doing the disney cruise, that'll be fun :D
the 4 year one is everyone that branches out from my grandmothers mother, then we do another one every 5 years that includes EVERY one else. my family is HUGE, and its hard to get to know them all and see them all.